Featured Project: Red Dog Mine
Project: Red Dog Mine, the largest Zinc mine in the world
Company: NANA Regional Corporation
Challenge: Create an environmentally sound mine on NANA lands in an arctic environment; taking into account the views of the Inupiat people of Norwest Alaska, and protecting traditional food sources.
Partner: Teck, Inc. – Alaska
The Red Dog Mine, one of the world’s largest zinc mines, operates on land owned by the NANA Regional Corporation, Inc. (NANA), and is wholly owned by the Native people of Northwest Alaska. The mining operation is conducted under lease to Teck Alaska, Incorporated, a Canadian resource development company. NANA and Teck became partners in the Red Dog project through a unique development agreement which assured environmental protection and economic benefits for the Iñupiat people through the development of the world’s largest zinc mine. Throughout the more than two decades of development at the mine, NANA companies have been there – providing the needed services, people and technology from the beginning.
NANA companies provide operational support and a wide range of services to Red Dog Mine.
- DOWL HKM: Civil engineering, consulting, site planning and design, surveying and drafting
- NANA Construction: Fabrication, construction and installation of modules; maintenance and operations services
- NANA Lynden Logistics: Trucking, logistics, marine and air cargo
- NANA Oilfield Services, Inc. (NOSI): Bulk and retail fuel products, potable water and lubricants
- NANA WorleyParsons: Engineering and design, project and construction management, fire and gas detection
- NMS Camp Services: Catering, housekeeping, laundry and facilities maintenance
- NMS Security (Purcell): Security services
- Paa River Construction: Civil construction, aggregate production and mining support services
- Tuuq Drilling: Drilling services